Call Us Today!

What to Do in a Miss-and-Run


Have you ever heard the term “miss-and-run?” If not, that’s not very surprising. It isn’t a real legal term. But that doesn’t mean it is something you shouldn’t worry about. A miss-and-run is the creative name for a hit-and-run accident that involves damage to only one car. Another driver caused the accident, but their vehicle wasn’t damaged. If you are involved in a miss-and-run accident, this is what you need to do.


Get Identifying Information for the Other Driver if Possible


Since the other driver is responsible for the damage to your car, you can get compensation from them. But you can only get compensation if you can identify the other driver.

This means you should try to identify them if at all possible. If you are lucky, you will remember the make, model, and color of their car. You may even remember part or all of their license plate number.

However, that isn’t likely. It’s more likely that you will need to speak to witnesses and hope they recorded that information. Alternatively, you should try to determine whether there are traffic cameras or businesses with cameras nearby that might have recorded the accident.

Also Read: Things you should never do when you get into an accident

Contact the Police Immediately


Because a miss-and-run is a type of hit-and-run accident, the law requires the other driver to stay at the scene of the accident. When they fled, they violated the law. The sooner you inform the police, the sooner they can act.

And they have good reason to act because the other driver violated the law. Additionally, making a police report makes it easier to get compensation from your insurance company.

Inform Your Insurance Company


Insurance Company-Miss-and-Run

Because this is a form of a hit-and-run accident, your insurance company will cover your injuries and damages under your uninsured motorist policy. But it would rather not pay for the accident. Thus, it will send investigators to determine who the other party is so it can get money from their insurance company.

This is one rare case where your insurance company will be on your side. So inform them quickly.

Contact a Lawyer


Also, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. They can help you get the highest possible compensation the law allows.

The Joel Bieber Firm Helps Victims of Miss-and-Run Accidents


If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a miss-and-run accident, contact our law firm right away to schedule a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer.

Interesting Reads:

Pursuing Justice for Hit-and-Run Accidents

Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer

Steps to take when you involved in an accident