Burn Injury Lawyer
In a matter of moments, an unfortunate accident can cause severe burns. Burn injuries can have a lifelong impact on your physical and mental well-being. If you sustain burns, a burn injury lawyer at The Joel Bieber Firm can help you. Contact to get a free consultation about how you can take legal action.
What Is a Burn Injury?
A burn injury affects the skin and other tissues and organs. Prolonged exposure to heat, electricity, and friction most often causes these injuries.
A burn can happen rather quickly but permanently affect you on the inside and outside. If you’ve suffered a burn injury, a burn injury lawyer can help you recover the compensation you need.
Types of Burns
The results of your burn injuries often depend on the severity of the burn you sustain. When you seek medical care after a burn, your physician can diagnose your burn.
Burns vary by how deep the damage is. A doctor can classify your burn by degree:
- First-Degree Burn: These burns are the least severe. They usually affect the outer layer of skin (epidermis) and cause pain and redness
- Second-Degree Burn: These burns affect two layers of skin, the epidermis and dermis. They cause pain and swelling, and scarring is common
- Third-Degree Burn: These burns reach much deeper, affecting the underlying tissues. They can cause more extensive damage and destroy nerves
- Fourth-Degree Burn: These burns are the most serious. They can reach all the way to the bone, causing life-threatening harm
The more severe your burns, the more damage they cause to your body. Your injuries also greatly depend on the area of the body affected.
How Do Burn Injuries Happen?
Burn injuries can happen for several reasons. Some of the most common causes of burns include:
- Building and
- house fires
- Vehicular accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Defective or malfunctioning products
- Medical malpractice
- Electrical exposure
- Exposure to dangerous chemicals
The fires and accidents that result in burn injuries are often caused by negligence. Therefore, if a negligent party causes your burn injuries, you can seek compensation.
Complications to Your Health
Severe enough burn injuries can call for extensive medical treatment. For example, more substantial treatment includes skin grafting and plastic surgery. It is also normal for burn injuries to lead to permanent scarring and disfigurement.
Along with the need for more medical treatment and the impacts on your appearance, burns can also leave with you:
- Organ failure
Long-term effects on your health can impact your need for monetary recovery. When calculating the value of your case, your burn injuries lawyer will consider this.
In the most severe cases, burn injury victims can succumb to their burn injuries. If you’ve lost a loved one from burn injuries, you may have a valid claim for wrongful death. A burn injuries lawyer can provide proper guidance.
Who’s At Fault for a Burn Injury?
There are certain steps that come before determining fault. First, Your burn injury lawyer will investigate your case to figure out how your burns happened. Then, based on the cause, fault will be clearer.
Generally, the party responsible for the cause of your burns would be liable to you. Potential at-fault parties could include:
- The driver of a motor vehicle
- Your employer
- The owner of the property where your burn happened
- Your landlord
- A manufacturer or distributor
Often, negligence is at the heart of a burn injury case. If your case involves negligence, your personal injury lawyer must prove the necessary elements. These elements include the following:
- Duty: The responsible party owed you a duty of care
- Breach: The responsible party’s actions caused them to breach their duty of care to you
- Causation: There is a relationship between the responsible party’s actions and your accident
- Damages: You suffered losses because of your injuries, whether financial or otherwise
Certain evidence is helpful when establishing fault. Evidence your attorney may rely on includes photos, videos, and medical records.
Your burn injury lawyer can successfully establish liability on your behalf. This is a critical part of any burn injury case.
Recovering Compensation for Your Burn Injury
After suffering a burn injury, you’ll likely need monetary recovery. Compensation can help avoid the financial strain you may experience otherwise. Because burn injuries often require plenty of care, medical bills can quickly add up.
Along with compensation for medical bills, your damages could include:
- Loss of earnings
- Diminished or lost earning potential
- Mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
Under certain circumstances, you may qualify for additional damages. If the defendant’s actions were intentional or reckless, punitive damages may be available. These damages punish the defendant and deter future actors.
There is no “average” burn injury settlement amount because every case is unique. Your damages depend on specific details, including:
- The extent of your burn injuries
- The total of your medical bills
- Whether you’ll need medical care in the future
- Whether you’ll need time off from work to recover, and if so, the total of your lost wages
- Whether you’ll be able to work as you did before
- How your burn injuries affect your mental and emotional health
- Any other monetary or non-monetary losses related to your injuries
You can feel confident knowing you’re getting the right compensation with a lawyer. Your burn injury attorney will calculate your damages and pursue justice for you.
How a Skilled Attorney Can Help Your Burn Injury Case
Compared to unrepresented parties, those with representation fare better in burn injury cases. Your attorney will take on many necessary tasks:
- Investigating your case
- Gathering evidence
- Requesting medical records
- Assessing your damages
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Representing you in court, if needed
Insurance companies try to devalue claims to avoid paying what cases are worth. It can be challenging to handle burn injury cases. However, with the right attorney on your side, you’ll be in good hands.
Speak with an Experienced Burn Injury Lawyer Today
If you’ve suffered burn injuries, you should seek the justice you deserve. The Joel Bieber Firm is ready to help you.
Our legal team has years of experience helping injured clients. We’ve refined our legal strategies throughout the years to get favorable compensation. We want to do just that for you.
Contact us today to schedule your complimentary consultation.