Greenville Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are devastating, both emotionally and physically. Regardless of the severity of the accident, the truck accident victims are left to deal with injuries, medical bills, property damage, and insurance claims. If you have been involved in a truck accident, our Greenville truck accident lawyers at the Joel Bieber are prepared to help you and your loved ones recover from the accident.
In 2018, there was a total of 1,037 people died on South Carolina roads. About 65% were in cars, trucks, or SUVs. Unfortunately, these numbers are not decreasing fast enough and truck accident victims are left having to face insurance companies and trucking companies alone. That is where we come in. Our experienced Greenville truck accident lawyers will guide you through the complications surrounding the truck accident claims process and work to set you and your loved ones up for success.
On our highways, there are trucks that are 70 feet long and weigh almost 80,000 lbs (36 tons). Many truck drivers are skilled professional drivers, who do an important job in transporting their cargo while obeying laws. However, some drivers are simply motivated by profit and they ignore safety regulations and laws so that they can transport more loads in an unsafe manner. Regardless of the situation, our truck accident lawyers have seen the full gambit and will help you every step of the way.
At The Joel Bieber Firm, we have a winning reputation for handling truck accidents. Truck cases require specific knowledge of commercial driving license laws and our truck accident lawyers know these regulations at a detailed level.
Immediate Steps You Should Take if You Have a Greenville Truck Accident
After a truck accident, it is crucial that you act safely and intentionally. Trucks are extremely large vehicles and they can cause extreme harm during and following an accident. Follow these steps immediately following an accident to ensure you are setting yourself up for a successful truck accident claim:
- Move to a safe and secure area away from the vehicles in the accident: Immediately following an accident, it is important to secure a safe location if you are not too injured to move. By moving to a safe location, you are preventing further damages and protecting your best interest. Ensure others in your vehicle are safe and confirm their condition.
2. Call the Police: Once you get to safety, call the police immediately so that they can get to the accident scene as soon as possible. The police officers will be able to file an accident claim and act as a resource moving forward with resolving your truck accident claim. While the police will document the accident scene and gather information, do not rely on their report for your own accord of the accident.
3. Exchange information with all those involved and document the accident scene: If you are able, it is extremely important to gather information from the other drivers, such as their vehicle registration, contact, and insurance information. We highly recommend that you take pictures of the accident scene, any vehicles involved, the surrounding areas, and gather the contact information of any witnesses.
4. Seek medical attention and document your injuries: Even if you think your injuries are minor, you should consult with a doctor as soon as possible after any serious vehicle accident. Continue to keep monitoring your health as some symptoms of injuries, such as headaches, dizziness, or pain, do not appear for hours and even days following a crash. If your injuries are visible, have a loved one or friend take photos of them as soon as possible after the accident and as you recover.
5. Call the Greenville truck accident lawyers at The Joel Bieber Firm: As soon as you contact our Richmond truck accident lawyers, we will evaluate your claim and work to ensure that your rights are protected. We will work with you to determine the best course of action that works for your unique situation. Contacting your Richmond truck accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident will help to ease your burden of managing your claim.
How are Truck Accidents different than Car Accidents?
There are several differentiators that differentiate car and truck accidents. Commercial big rig trucks typically weigh at least 80,000 pounds, which is 20 times the weight of passenger cars. This factor alone makes truck accidents more complicated than car accidents. The injuries that are common in car accidents are also far more severe and can include intensive medical care and bills. From serious whiplash and broken bones to brain trauma and severe lacerations, injuries following a truck accident are often life-changing. The amount of time that a truck accident victim will spend in a hospital recovery will be longer, as a result of the severity of injuries. Since the medical recovery takes longer, truck accident victims are unable to return to work for a longer period of time, if at all. When you work with our dedicated Greenville truck accident lawyers, we will be able to detail an accurate plan that will set you up for the successful recovery that you deserve.
Additionally, truck drivers differ from car drivers because they are usually employed for driving their vehicles. Trucking companies and employers are less interested in overseeing safety, but rather, they want to earn more money for their company. Despite strict regulations that ensure truck drivers don’t drive more than 10 hours each day, truck drivers are often given financial incentives for traveling large distances faster, which can directly impinge upon other drivers’ safety.
Since truck drivers are employed while they are driving, they have complicated insurance policies. Their insurance policies are typically 50 times larger than car accident policies. This often puts the total value of insurance in the millions, incentivizing insurance carriers to fight aggressively so that they won’t have to grant a large settlement claim if any at all. Veteran insurance adjusters will be called in and employ intricate tactics, such as offering a seemingly-large payout, when your case might be worth far more. Having a trusted Greenville truck accident lawyer advocating for your rights will help make the process less stressful for you and your loved ones.
Determining Truck Accident Liability
Like most motor vehicle accidents, truck accidents are typically preventable. A preventable truck accident is one that occurs because the driver failed to take the precautions to prevent it. There are several potential parties that are responsible for a truck accident. Some of those include:
- The Truck Driver
- The truck driver is the most expected liability holder for a truck accident. Truck drivers have specific rules and regulations surrounding the number of hours a truck driver is allowed to drive, as well as other stipulations. Additionally, if they were distracted while driving or acting negligently, they are liable for the accident.
- Trucking Company
- If the truck driver is not an independent contractor, they are likely working for a trucking company at the time of the accident. If the cargo load was not properly secured or there was a brake failure, the truck accident would be the trucking company’s fault.
- Government Entities
- If the road was in a dangerous or unsafe condition, the local government entity that oversees the road will be responsible for the accident. Trucks are large vehicles that require their drivers to pay special attention to the road. If a road is dangerous, it may put the truck driver and others in harm’s way.
What Happens if My Truck Accident Case Requires A Court Hearing?
Our Greenville truck accident lawyers will try to grant you a settlement outside of the courtroom. Unfortunately, that cannot always be completed because trucking companies rarely offer fair compensation to victims.
In the event that we must bring your truck accident case to court, we are prepared to advocate on your behalf. At The Joel Bieber Firm, our truck accident lawyers will prepare your case from the start, in the event that your case does require a court hearing. We understand the complex nature of truck accidents, and we work hard to ensure you are set up for success in your truck accident claim.
Contact Our Greenville Truck Accident Lawyers Today. We Are Here To Help.
At The Joel Bieber Firm, our Greenville truck accident lawyers take pride in our ability to guide our clients throughout their truck accident claims. Part of our duty to you is to be a counselor who will advise you based on our legal experience in and out of the courtroom. Contact an experienced truck lawyer at The Joel Bieber Firm today for your free initial consultation. We will fight for you.
Contact an experienced Greenville truck accident lawyer at The Joel Bieber Firm today for your free initial consultation. Please fill out the form on this page.